Added total temperature calculation

27 Apr 2021 19:31 #50278 by ScottBouch
The "Ram Air Temperature" indicator on panel A1 is controlled by a total temperature probe fitted to the spine, so I have just modelled it's reading based on static temperature and mach number.

Committed changes to gitlab repo.

Slowly plodding on with it.

Cheers, Scott.
The following user(s) said Thank You: StuartC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

26 May 2021 11:47 #50450 by thebroons
Been picking at painting the T5.

Need confirmation or correction.

The T5 was used in the following squadrons

5 Sqn
11 Sqn
23 Sqn
29 Sqn
56 Sqn
145 Sqn
226 OCU
RAE / EPTS

Any more?

Also, I believe that the export version is the Mk. 55, obtained by Kuwait AF and RSAF.

Is Scott in the house??

G

Any stairway is a stairway to heaven if you’re clumsy enough.
If your shirt isn’t tucked into your pants, your pants are tucked into your shirt.
Your stomach thinks all potatoes are mashed.
Most of the sky is actually below your feet.
The object of golf is to play the least amount of golf.

08 Jun 2021 19:30 - 08 Jun 2021 20:53 #50518 by ScottBouch
Hi, sorry for the wait - have been on holiday and up to other things!

RAF Lightning squadrons: lightning.org.uk/squadrons.html

Small numbers exported to the Kuwaiti and Saudi air forces. These in the main were the F53 and T55 Mk's (with a couple of other oddball earlier Mks).

This site is brilliant to see which went where, check out the "database" (spreadsheet) at:
lightnings.info/
they also have links to lots of in-service photos, although I have corrected them on a couple of wrong images in the past, so even though it's very good, it's worth double checking!

In general it's worth checking your evidence with me before you jump in with photos found online, as there are a number of very convincing "photographer day" shots of preserved / museum aircraft painted in incorrect liveries, or containing other errors that you'd not want to put into your finished artwork. For example Bruntingthorpe has an F53, painted convincingly as an F6.

I have a selection of original photos from some previous research that I can send to you, if you email me here: www.scottbouch.com/contact.html

You may be aware, but as you are about to put effort in to this, I should highlight that our FGUK Lightning is neither a T5 nor T55, it's a non-standard / made up aircraft. If you make liveried for it, and then the shape changes it may be a bit of a nightmare?

To be a T5, it needs straight leading edges to the wings.
To be a T55 it needs the bigger ventral tank akin to the F6.

Are you any good with Blender too?

The latest FGUK model is on the GitLab site here: gitlab.com/FGUK/aircraft/EE-Lightning

Cheers, Scott.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thebroons

12 Jun 2021 14:35 - 12 Jun 2021 14:37 #50538 by thebroons
Hi Scott, Thanks for the link!

With the Mks 53 and 55 - are either of those twin seaters? I guess that's what I'm after? No point in painting up a KAF lightning if they never had a training ship, unless it's a "fantasy" version. But if I read you right, the Mk 55 was the 2 seater? Or were there a Mk55 and a separate MkT55?

I have zero skills in Blender other than to take something and bodge it up spectacularly. :( :(

I'm working with the version from Mistah Eagle, which has a texture map with little mirroring. I'll take a peek at your repository to see if it's using the same map - if so I can provide a bunch of paints already completed for your review.

More on that soon!

Thanks man!

G

Edit: Followed Gitlab link - 404 not found. Nothing higher in the path tree either. :blink:

Any stairway is a stairway to heaven if you’re clumsy enough.
If your shirt isn’t tucked into your pants, your pants are tucked into your shirt.
Your stomach thinks all potatoes are mashed.
Most of the sky is actually below your feet.
The object of golf is to play the least amount of golf.

24 Jun 2021 09:16 - 24 Jun 2021 09:28 #50589 by ScottBouch
Hi,

Here is a rundown of the Mk's of Lightning relative to this discussion and our model.

T5, T.Mk5 are interchangeable names. The key is the number, as these were unique to types. T signifies two-seater trainer, while F signifies single seat fighter. The "5x" Mk's were for export, single numbers were domestic.

The FGUK model we have been building is aimed at the RAF T5, although you will see from below it's airframe is a muddle of T5 and T55 bits.

T5 - Royal Air Force (20 in service) - two seat trainer. F3 airframe details such as straight wings, small ventral tank, no arrestor hook.

T55 - Saudi Arabian Air Force (7 in service) - two seat trainer. F6 details such as flared leading edge of wings, and bigger ventral tank, with arrestor hook.

T55K - Kuwaiti Air Force (2 in service) - two seat trainer. F6 details such as flared leading edge of wings, and bigger ventral tank, with arrestor hook.

The T5, T55, T55K were suitable for training pilots to fly the F2A, F3, F6, F53 as they had the latter instrumentation equipment fitted (Smith's IFIS), "dark sea grey" painted cockpit interiors; earlier Lightnings had a different instrumentation set, and are easily identified by black painted cockpit interiors.

Have a look through the images linked form this spreadsheet, it's a brilliant resource for comparing types and markings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13jqvAq0gB_1An9yxN6tQpaaKnqVRgJpTp-UGVp2-bVk/edit#gid=0

The original GiLab link was dead, but I have updated it in the original post.
The following user(s) said Thank You: thebroons

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds