OK, I got the latest/greatest release of FGFS 2020.4 installed

25 Jan 2021 14:07 #49531 by Avionyx
Did you set up the anti aliasing in the launcher? under settings and then rendering at the launch screen. That'd be my first thought perhaps.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

25 Jan 2021 14:13 #49532 by Vodoun da Vinci
Yeah, I did all that. This does not look like an aliasing as the jiggling and movements are very large. I'll try and do a .gif of it tonight cause it looks odd in ways that words kinda don't work to describe. The shadows all appear like blobs with multiple parts that move.

VooDoo

25 Jan 2021 21:35 #49534 by enrogue
have a look at the properties in /sim/rendering/shadows/ - they affect the shadow

on mine the map-size is set to 8192
and sun-atlas-size is set to 2048

which seems to give a non jaggy but slightly fuzzy shadow

there was an equivalent setting in the gui in rembrandt but I haven't seen this set in the compositor yet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vodoun da Vinci

26 Jan 2021 00:12 #49536 by Vodoun da Vinci
Hard to see but it's there.....increase the size and have a good look at the fuselage as the flaps deploy and the nose as the aircraft moves....shadows are jumping and blobbing and oscillating. Another question - how do I enable AI aircraft but ignore all the dialog on screen and via audio?

Can't stand hearing and seeing all this crap but like the AI aircraft interacting.

Thanks for helping!

VooDoo
Attachments:

26 Jan 2021 08:26 #49537 by Avionyx
Interesting shadows there, I see what you mean.

To get rid of all the text just change radio frequency.

As an interesting test, if you turn on vegetation shadows can you still see the same results on the shadows from trees etc?

26 Jan 2021 12:21 - 26 Jan 2021 14:18 #49538 by Vodoun da Vinci
This is interesting - the shadows cast by buildings or things like static aircraft or things like wind sock poles look perfect. No flailing chunks and gobs just normal looking shadows. Maybe a shader issue with the aircraft itself?

VooDoo

26 Jan 2021 13:39 #49540 by enrogue
I get slightly wobbly shadows when moving a plane, but not that chunky that I can see - perhaps it's an issue with how the shader is run on different drivers/cards

26 Jan 2021 14:19 #49541 by Vodoun da Vinci
managed to make it to work today but everything is cancelled due to a major snowfall/winter storm. So, I'll install the new FGFS on my Work Computer and see how it looks.

VooDoo

26 Jan 2021 17:51 - 26 Jan 2021 17:52 #49544 by Vodoun da Vinci
It looks the same on this computer albeit it with much lower frame rates due to the lack of graphics processing and RAM. But the shadows are the same. So it's a setting in FGFS somewhere but I'll be danged if I can locate it....possible I have a different build than you guys?

VooDoo

27 Jan 2021 08:20 #49550 by geed
VooDoo I believe we can set the resolution of the shadow map.

Looks like yours is on low resolution. Jagged edges are nothing else than pixels of the shadow texture being projected onto the ground geometry.

That is also the reason for it looking like the a/c is floating above ground slightly.

Increase the shadow maps resolution. But be aware that the frame rate goes down slightly.

27 Jan 2021 12:27 #49551 by Vodoun da Vinci
In Defaults.xml?

I tried increasing sun-atlas-size up to 4X but it changes nothing I can see to do with shadows...

<shadows>
<enabled type="bool" userarchive="y">false</enabled>
<sun-atlas-size type="int" userarchive="y">2048</sun-atlas-size>
</shadows>

VooDoo

27 Jan 2021 20:17 #49554 by Porcius

geed wrote:
Increase the shadow maps resolution. But be aware that the frame rate goes down slightly.

Cannot find this. I have got a greyed out 'Rembrandt' box and the shadows look like they are from that shader. To me. You know, the slightly blocky edges.

Porcy

PS - all fine yesterday on the flight from Iceland to Boscombe Down (even went past Stuarts Banana), no green text at top of the screen - today I got text and I cant seem to switch it off ! Aaaaargh.

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"
Attachments:

27 Jan 2021 22:23 #49555 by enrogue
try the properties:

/sim/rendering/shadows/map-size

and:

/sim/rendering/shadows/sun-atlas-size

27 Jan 2021 23:01 #49556 by Vodoun da Vinci
I don't know what that means. :blush:

VooDoo

28 Jan 2021 00:10 #49557 by Porcius

enrogue wrote: try the properties:

/sim/rendering/shadows/map-size

and:

/sim/rendering/shadows/sun-atlas-size

Done that - no change. Even if I could find it...

Experimental version is for debugging ?

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

28 Jan 2021 08:28 #49559 by geed
Later today evening I will see where that switch was but I believe it was in Rendering.

28 Jan 2021 21:25 #49562 by thebroons
....and this is why I never install the fgfs bleedin' edge, cuz it can cut ye like a bahstahsd

- Thursday Optimisms <sic>

Any stairway is a stairway to heaven if you’re clumsy enough.
If your shirt isn’t tucked into your pants, your pants are tucked into your shirt.
Your stomach thinks all potatoes are mashed.
Most of the sky is actually below your feet.
The object of golf is to play the least amount of golf.

28 Jan 2021 23:11 #49563 by Vodoun da Vinci
Yeah, but seriously? I can't convey to you how good this looks even with the problems. I have had an FGFS epiphany again and I have set all Development aside the last few evenings and just been flying around checking things out.

It's like seeing the FlightGear World thru brand new eyes. I haven't been this excited and impressed for about 10 years of FlightGear. This last version is literally the best looking Sim I have seen and aircraft I am Developing are simply stunning visually in ways I'd only hoped to experience.

There are issues but overall this blows the doors off of all previous versions in my opinion.

VooDoo

29 Jan 2021 08:28 #49564 by Avionyx
See, told ya ;)

29 Jan 2021 09:08 - 29 Jan 2021 09:09 #49565 by geed
Honestly this would definitely be something the guys on the main forum would need to read or hear.

Just yestery I scraped through the main forum, especially the talk about compositor and, well, you know how they fight over every bit of functionality. And it reads as if the mood is mostly heated up to being on the brink to total war.

I can clearly read exhaustion in what some of them write there and I think some words of admiration and thankfulness would brighten up their day even if just for a short moment :)

Time to create page: 0.340 seconds