OK, I got the latest/greatest release of FGFS 2020.4 installed

29 Jan 2021 09:08 - 29 Jan 2021 09:09 #49565 by geed
Honestly this would definitely be something the guys on the main forum would need to read or hear.

Just yestery I scraped through the main forum, especially the talk about compositor and, well, you know how they fight over every bit of functionality. And it reads as if the mood is mostly heated up to being on the brink to total war.

I can clearly read exhaustion in what some of them write there and I think some words of admiration and thankfulness would brighten up their day even if just for a short moment :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

29 Jan 2021 11:38 #49566 by enrogue
And the dev list - many of the devs don't go on the forum much

On the subject of properties - you can hit / to see the property tree & click into the folders/branches like sim then rendering etc

29 Jan 2021 17:30 - 29 Jan 2021 17:30 #49569 by Vodoun da Vinci
So, lemme ask this...for Stuart and Alex and guys whose shadows are working OK right out of the box. Do you think maybe I got bad build? Or that something got hosed between when ya'll got yer download and I grabbed my version?

Thinking about grabbing another build this evening....Not only the shadow thing but I simply cannot make the Orthographics work either. Something is F'd up somewhere. 2 machines with the same Build and neither one can get Orthographics working and has huge shadow anomalies.

How often are the nightly builds updated?

VooDoo

29 Jan 2021 17:31 #49570 by StuartC
To be honest I havent lookewd that closely at the shaddows.

29 Jan 2021 18:32 #49571 by enrogue
It *is* an issue with the nightlies that sometimes features break *often* - consider them pre-alpha & in a state of flux, sometimes they don't even compile (hence you don't get a new nightly some days)

I haven't tried Ortho photos at all - I'm waiting for WS3.0 tbh.

Nightlies are built, well nightly (for some timezone), but it depends more on what's changed between builds - this is where linux is a bit easier because grabbing the Appimage & updating your fgdata git repo is a lot easier than downloading a 2GB installer & installing the latest nightly

Actually building on windows yourself is an arse (well to me it is) mainly due to how hard the setup is - after the initial setup the update, build, run process is *relatively* simple... I guess
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vodoun da Vinci

29 Jan 2021 19:46 #49572 by Vodoun da Vinci
With the new/latest format, is it OK to install a new nightly build/download over an existing install? Or do I have to rip it all out and start from scratch?

VooDoo

29 Jan 2021 19:51 - 29 Jan 2021 19:57 #49573 by Warty
The odds of the main "data" changing is slight so just downloading and replacing the fgfs app should be all you need to do.

download.flightgear.org/builds/nightly/

Mac 10.14.1 Mojave, FG 2020.4.0
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Porcius

30 Jan 2021 15:41 #49576 by Porcius
Last night I realised that I cannot get MP Server 01 Germany like we always use on Flight Night anymore.
Is this a 2020.4 specific change or is it a FGFS MP protocol has changed ?

Also, I have set 'Live weather' in the launcher in the last few versions, but when the sim is running I have to set it again in 'Environment' as it reverts to 'basic' (well the radio button next to basic has a dot in it).

Thanks,

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

04 Feb 2021 20:36 - 04 Feb 2021 20:37 #49627 by Vodoun da Vinci
MP01 works fine for me....so, it must location specific to you? I don't think it is specific to the new release builds.

I'll tell you what *is* specific - I found out that you cannot use ".XX" as a .set file name. I had named several aircraft something like "daVinci_Lancair.IV" and named the set file "daVinci_Lacair.IV.set" which worked fine in the present last release but will absolutely not work in 2020.4.0 - had to rename .set files to get the launcher to find the aircraft.

Fixed now but ya'll might want to watch that if yer Developing. Now to solve the Orthophoto dealie and I'm back to being sane again. :S :woohoo:

VooDoo

04 Feb 2021 20:50 #49628 by Warty
I'd always thought that they had to end in -set.xml to be recognised by the launcher.

Mac 10.14.1 Mojave, FG 2020.4.0

05 Feb 2021 00:13 #49629 by Vodoun da Vinci
yup....daVinci_XYZ-set.xml works great.

daVinci_XYZ.B-set.xml no longer works.

Worked before - doesn't now.

VooDoo

05 Feb 2021 01:53 #49630 by thebroons
Whoa! You suffering' period pain? lol :woohoo:

Don't Winboxes have issues with periods in the filename before the period separating that from the file extension?

daVinci_XYZ.B-set.xml no longer works. The red that's bled has made your script dead. But as you've found, if you stomp it flat _ then it works! That's wotcher need - digital violence!

G

Any stairway is a stairway to heaven if you’re clumsy enough.
If your shirt isn’t tucked into your pants, your pants are tucked into your shirt.
Your stomach thinks all potatoes are mashed.
Most of the sky is actually below your feet.
The object of golf is to play the least amount of golf.

05 Feb 2021 08:41 - 05 Feb 2021 08:42 #49632 by geed
Periods are a problem and should not be used on Windows boxes, more than one time, yeah. One period to separate the filename from the extension.

To many pieces of software here that can't deal this. Well...

..@VooDoo: I wanted to come back to you about the shadow quality setting. I tried finding it again but I couldn't. Maybe it was a hefty fever dream or not enough sugar in my blood, I don't know :D I can't remember where I saw this exact setting but obviously, after searching through FGs UI, I can't find it anymore... Damnit!

So I am sorry VooDoo but I will try again and see if I can find it somewhere. It wasn't something I had to set in an XML file, I am sure about that.

Hmm..

14 Feb 2021 18:49 #49761 by Vodoun da Vinci
Is it OK to download and install an updated nightly build over the existing one or should we rip it all out and start from scratch each time?

VooDoo

14 Feb 2021 19:10 #49762 by Porcius

Warty wrote: The odds of the main "data" changing is slight so just downloading and replacing the fgfs app should be all you need to do.

download.flightgear.org/builds/nightly/

Seems to have worked for me ! Just a 32mb (ish) file size, quick and simple.

Porcy

Lightning DOES strike twice.

Watchmen Quote - "I am looking at the stars.... Thier light takes so long to reach us. All we ever see of Stars are thier old photographs"

14 Feb 2021 21:09 - 14 Feb 2021 21:11 #49767 by enrogue
Can i suggest going a step further:

grab git for windows & clone the copy of the fgdata repo at gitlab.com/flightgear/fgdata/ (it's way faster than sourceforge & kept up to date)

from the command line (in the directory you want to put your fgdata dir)
git clone -b next https://gitlab.com/flightgear/fgdata/

will create a directory called fgdata containing the next branch of the git repository

for further updates just cd into the directory & run
git pull

yes there is a gui that comes with it... not I don't use it

16 Feb 2021 00:26 #49785 by Vodoun da Vinci
Don't download and install the latest nightly build trying to resolve weird and wild issues.

Just. Don't. Does anyone vet this stuff or can anyone just throw a completely fucked up build out for everyone to "upgrade" to?

I gotta stop trying to fix my current install and wait for a new release.....these nightly builds are cool when they work and then the next night is totally fucked. I need to find a stable nightly build or give up trying to fix the shadows thing. Jesus...what a mess.... :pinch: :lol: Not like my Development attempts.

VooDoo

16 Feb 2021 12:41 #49786 by Vodoun da Vinci
Anyone know what this warning onscreen means and how to get rid of it?

"Failed to update recovery file:daVinci_P-47DBubbleTop-recovery.fgtape"

Doesn't matter what/which aircraft - Thanks if you know and can help!

VooDoo

16 Feb 2021 13:37 #49787 by StuartC
did you record a flight to play back ?

16 Feb 2021 15:27 #49788 by Vodoun da Vinci
Nope. I just pops up on the screen on all aircraft....a search in defaults.xml for .fgtape returns nothing.

Weird.

VooDoo

Time to create page: 0.222 seconds