Joystick button and Teamspeak3

05 Nov 2017 20:57 #36246 by sanni
Joystick button and Teamspeak3 was created by sanni
I'm looking for a way to assign a joystick button as a hotkey for Teamspeak3.
When I try to assign the button in 'options/hotkeys' it does not work.

OS is ArchLinux.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

07 Nov 2017 08:57 #36251 by Algernon
Replied by Algernon on topic Joystick button and Teamspeak3
For a long while, I couldn't get it to work on Windows either. Then it suddenly detected my joystick hotkey one day.
Do you use your sticks with any other software than FlightGear? I suspect there needs to be a way to get your Linux distro to recognise the sticks in a particular way...

14 Nov 2017 18:32 #36376 by Neilson
Replied by Neilson on topic Joystick button and Teamspeak3
I would love to get this working too.

OSX Mac

Had not joy sadly.

FG 2018.1.1
Mac

FG Screen Shots:- neilson.imgur.com
FG Video's:- www.youtube.com/user/skateflite
FG Streams:- gaming.youtube.com/user/skateflite/live
Twitter twitter.com/NeilsonUK

14 Nov 2017 22:59 #36380 by sanni
Replied by sanni on topic Joystick button and Teamspeak3
Seems you need a program, that maps a joystick button to a key...

15 Nov 2017 10:35 #36383 by ScottBouch
Replied by ScottBouch on topic Joystick button and Teamspeak3
I'd love to get this working somehow from the flightgear property tree as I'm soon going to be acquiring a Lightning throttle box, and stick top, which will give me two PTT buttons to use! I'd be telling FGFS the button is pressed by serial generic protocol, but getting TS to see the PTT state from the Property Tree will be the issue here which wil lprobably get resolved with some custom script of sorts...

I see FGCom has this facility? Can we learn form FGCom how it's done and apply it to TS, or even Mumble?

Cheers, Scott.

15 Nov 2017 22:06 #36392 by sanni
Replied by sanni on topic Joystick button and Teamspeak3
In AUR you can find joy2key. That's what you need :)

16 Nov 2017 02:47 #36393 by Algernon
Two PTTs, eh? So you could use one for FGCom and one for TS? As you know, it's one of my deepest FG desires to have a decent radio/intercom emulation...

I guess it all depends first and foremost how you get the kit interfaced. I'd imagine getting stick and throttle inputs into FG would be less problematic than trying to make them operate as a joystick Linux will recognise... but then I don't know much about Linux and even less about joystick protocols...

16 Nov 2017 12:58 - 16 Nov 2017 13:18 #36400 by ScottBouch
Hi Sanni and Algy,

Thanks for the pointer to joy2key.

There is an arduino project to make your own HID compliant joystick interface. The way I've done it is quite simple in comparison as I'm directly updating the property tree in FGFS using the generic protocol. Of course my solution isn't compatible with other games though, it's dedicated to FGFS.

Using the Arduino HID approach and Joy2key, this may be possible, but it's back to square one for me.

Depends if it's possible or not to pull data out of the property tree and generate a keystroke in X with it. (I'm using Manjaro XFCE).

Algy - I see FGCom allows users to tune their radios to different frequencies, is this possible in TS (or even mumble)? I guess you'd set up a new "room" for each "frequency" and switch between them, then again, it relies on getting data out of the property tree to manipulate TS... If this is possible, the PTT could be done along the same lines.

Is it worth seeing how FGCom works and taking a leaf out of it's book? While on this subject, what's so wrong with FGCom anyway? - ie: could the effort be put into fixing it's issues instead of re-inventing the wheel?

Yes, 2 PTT buttons, one exists on the throttle and one on the stick in the Lightning. In the real aircraft they are just wired together so serve the same purpose.

After a bit of googling, here is a project where someone has made a python script to control TeamSpeak, if it can be modified to read parameters form the property tree of FGFS and affect TS accordingly, then we're laughing!
forum.teamspeak.com/threads/126249-RELEA...TSon-A-python-plugin

There are also many ways to use the generic protocol to send property tree data out of FGFS... I wonder if this could be an easier answer... Generic protocol of sorts -> interface script -> to TS?

wiki.flightgear.org/Howto:Create_a_generic_protocol

Cheers, Scott

16 Nov 2017 14:05 #36402 by Algernon

Algy - I see FGCom allows users to tune their radios to different frequencies, is this possible in TS (or even mumble)? I guess you'd set up a new "room" for each "frequency" and switch between them, then again, it relies on getting data out of the property tree to manipulate TS... If this is possible, the PTT could be done along the same lines.

That's right - in fact, this is pretty much what we discussed a while back when we were talking about trying to increase the realism of FG communications. It's absolutely possible in Mumble - in fact, that's what FGCom does - but there are other downsides.

Is it worth seeing how FGCom works and taking a leaf out of it's book? While on this subject, what's so wrong with FGCom anyway? - ie: could the effort be put into fixing it's issues instead of re-inventing the wheel?
After a bit of googling, here is a project where someone has made a python script to control TeamSpeak, if it can be modified to read parameters form the property tree of FGFS and affect TS accordingly, then we're laughing!
forum.teamspeak.com/threads/126249-RELEA...TSon-A-python-plugin

I think at this stage I'd be more interested in creating a TS plugin than trying to rework FGCom. The sound quality is significantly better and more controllable, you can easily select alternative input/output devices and you can use audio plugins, such as the radio effect mod which improves immersion. We looked into customising TS several years ago and it looked quite tricky... however, as plugin popularity has increased the chances are it might be easier now. It's worth looking into, I think. However, I suspect we might get into difficulties with privileges and the like...

I'll do some reading.

17 Nov 2017 10:09 - 17 Nov 2017 10:10 #36409 by ScottBouch
Hi Algy,

Been thinking more about this, I really like the approach of taking data from the FGFS property tree to control TS, as then it does not matter what input device you use (clicking the screen with your mouse, off-the-shelf usb kit, or custom serial generic protocol), it will always work to control TS. ie: it's a universal solution, with everything working from one common database.

The joy2key solution for PTT completely bypasses FGFS, so only will work for people using HID compliant joysticks, and will not allow for "frequency" selection... so is more of an interim workaround solution.

Cheers, Scott.

17 Nov 2017 18:55 #36415 by Algernon

...it will always work to control TS. ie: it's a universal solution, with everything working from one common database.

I'll remind you of this choice phrase when you have torn most of your hair out. It's almost unheard of for anything in FlightGear to be as simple as you first think it is. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ScottBouch

18 Nov 2017 21:41 #36444 by ScottBouch

03 Dec 2017 14:39 #36871 by Algernon
It's worth checking that your TS installation has the Joystick and Gamepad add-on, by the way - have a look in Options > Addons and see. It might not automatically come with the Linux edition...

I suspect it still needs some kind of drivers to work with, but it might get us a step further to check it out.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds