Windows 10 serial COM port bug

28 Jan 2020 21:39 #44651 by ScottBouch
Windows 10 serial COM port bug was created by ScottBouch
I all,

Found an issue with Windows 10 the other day.... It's an issue with serial COM ports over USB....

I can connect to an Arduino board using the IDE, download code to it, and the view my board data using the IDE's serial monitor, and manually type parameters to it too to position my indicators... however, it all falls apart when I'm finished with the IDE and trying to get comms between FGFS and the board using the same COM port. Even after rebooting, just in case the IDE still had ownership of the port, same issue.

I've duckduckgo'd and found other people complaining of this or similar issues on Windows 10 (other applications outside of FGFS). No resolution found so far. The Windows users complaining of the issue had success under other versions of Windows, I've come to W10 from Linux so can't compare to other Windows versions.

I'm only using W10 as it's my work's laptop, becasue my own PC is dead. I never had these issues under Linux. Tried FGFS on my Manjaro VM (W10 host), but it's useless, not enough of a computer.

I know I'm a bit unusual not using off-the-shelf HID compliant devices, but this is a potential show stopper for anyone else wanting to have a go under Windows.

Linux 1, Windows 0.... again..

Cheers, Scott.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

28 Jan 2020 21:42 #44652 by StuartC
Replied by StuartC on topic Windows 10 serial COM port bug
The last big W10 update introduced a lovely bug where random USB devices would just cease to function.

28 Jan 2020 21:58 #44653 by ScottBouch

29 Jan 2020 15:04 #44672 by hughesm
Replied by hughesm on topic Windows 10 serial COM port bug
Hi Scott,

I use Arduino uno boards and the standard IDE that ships for free from Arduino so if I can help let me know something specific to try for you.

I have win 10 PC and laptop, and I also have used it with Ubuntu on the same PC via a USB OS.

All the uno boards I use are cheap clones but any symptom should be the same.

I then use the usb ports for other stuff such as audio mixer desk and guitar pedal banks with no issues.

Fortunately my neighbour is similarly equipped and has more time than me so if I can spark his interest he might be a good resource for you. ( his volvo xc70 now has a few Arduino boards doing various things - quite mad )

29 Jan 2020 15:06 #44673 by Algernon
Replied by Algernon on topic Windows 10 serial COM port bug
I have a little board under development to go in my Saab 9-3. We Swedish car enthusiasts are indeed quite mad :)

29 Jan 2020 15:47 #44675 by hughesm
Replied by hughesm on topic Windows 10 serial COM port bug
brill,

Sorry Scott but we're going to drift off your issue now :-)

Before it was ever popular to chip cars, me and a mate used to make little computer boards and have leads hanging out of the bonnet into the car so we could map the ignition and fuel flow ( Golf, merc E190 and SAAB 9000 ) while connected to the parallel port of really early laptops while we drove. We worked in a steelworks on shifts so the night shift was spend racing around the perimeter road trying to get the best power at each 100 revs

Simpler times, more fun...what ever happened to me ??

29 Jan 2020 16:23 #44676 by ScottBouch
Replied by ScottBouch on topic Windows 10 serial COM port bug
That's ok, I too have been a car nut in the past, many hours spent on Bosch Motronic systems on GM 20XE "Redtop" engines in Mk2 Astra GTE's (Opel Kadett E GSI in Europe).

All in the past now.... as these days it's just family cars; I'm more concerned with boot size and fuel economy than performance!

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds